Career Opportunity - Mining Department
Mopani Copper Mines Plc has operations in Mufulira and Kitwe on the Copperbelt Province in Zambia. The Company’s success has been as a result of its focused approach to improvement and the mutually beneficial relationship enjoyed with its stakeholders — an important sector of which is its employees.
The Company seeks the services of an Artisan Rigger
The successful candidates will be responsible for managing: To inspect, maintain and repair lifting equipment/tackle as well as rigging of conveyor components and accessories.
The responsibilities of this role will include but are not limited to the following:
- Uses skills and knowledge to maintain lifting gear as well as rigging conveyor components and accessories.
- Receives daily schedules or verbal instructions from shift supervisor as planned in the MMS offices.
- Utilizes material parts and labour available to ensure work is completed to acceptable standards and within costs.
- Ensure that equipment and tools used at work site are left clean and tidy and tools stored in their proper places.
- Ensure safe dismounting and storage lifting equipment after use.
- Ensure total completion of documents related to job execution to enable effective transfer of information from the job to shift supervisor and the planning office.
- Must be able to attach loads to rigging gear to support or prepare them for moving, using hand and power tools. Ability to attach pulleys and blocks to fixed overhead structures such as beams, and pole beams using bolts and clamps.
- Must be able to give appropriate rigging signals to workers engaged in hoisting and moving loads in order to ensure safety of workers and materials.
- Must be able to select appropriate rigging gear such as pulleys, slings and winches according to the load, weights and sizes, facilities and work schedules.
- Must be able to test rigging gear and equipment to ensure safety and reliability.
- To work to relevant standards of safety, to reduce accidents and losses due to poor workman ship
To be considered for this position, the candidate should meet the following minimum requirements:
- Grade 12 Certificate or equivalent.
- Craft Certificate in Mechanical Rigging.
- A Technician’s Certificate in Mechanical Rigging will be an added advantage.
- Member of Engineering Institute of Zambia (EIZ).
- Must have at least 2 years of experience as a Rigger preferably in the Mining Industry.
- Must be physically fit and with necessary dexterity to work with tools and various mechanical rigging gear.
The successful candidate must be result oriented and have the ability to work with own initiative, ability to understand scope of work, paying particular attention to Company policies and Corporate objectives.
Mopani is committed to establishing a winning team and a copper and cobalt business it can be proud of. The Company operates an employment policy of “meritocracy” — aiming to employ the right people with the right skill, irrespective of race, gender or creed.
Interested, suitably qualified and experienced applicants should submit an application in either soft or hard copy not later than 23 November 2022 with contact phone numbers, detailed curriculum vitae which should be three pages or less and three contactable referees and copies of other credentials to the postal address below:
Human Resources Superintendent – Manpower
Mopani Copper Mines Plc
P O Box 22000
Full confidentiality guaranteed. Please note that only short listed applicants will be responded to.